Sunday, February 22, 2015

BLOG #3

As you are all already aware, my group’s mission is to explore the role of race and ethnicity in the classroom:  how does a person’s racial and cultural background affect his/her learning (specifically writing- which in my opinion goes hand-in-hand with reading also), his/her relationship with others, his/her overall educational and personal development?  As a teacher, I have realized over the years that this exploration is crucial; anything and everything a child learns is directly defined in terms of that child’s personal identity.


My specific role in the overall group presentation will be to bring this in-class experience to the work that my group mates and I do and the information/ideas, etc. that we present.  We have decided to approach our exploration in a number of different ways- just one facet of our plan is to conduct interviews with students, parents, teachers, and administrators.  I think I know my kids.  It will be very interesting to hear them open up truthfully (we hope haha) about their relationships with the written word.  I’m also going to be working on creating a series of lesson plans about race and ethnicity , facilitating students’ journey toward self- discovery and actualization.  These will be lessons that can be actually brought to life in the high school classroom and can be taught in conjunction with an existing curriculum on their own as a mini-unit (most likely in a language arts or social studies class).  This “teachers’ toolbox” will be my contribution to our digital omnibus.

No comments:

Post a Comment