Sunday, February 8, 2015

BLOG #1

                I have to say that when I walked into class on Tuesday, I was expecting the kind of experience that Dr. Zamora described as traditional (and somewhat antiquated).  I knew the class would be interesting, but I was not really expecting to have an active role in shaping the course content.  This innovative type of experience, along with the technology component, is something that is also being encouraged at the high school level, and I’ve realized, over the course of the last couple years, that, as a high school teacher, I’m a clinger- I cling to the more traditional class dynamic:  it’s what I was taught, and it’s what I know, it’s in my comfort zone, and I’ve been grasping onto it to within an inch of my life.   However, I’ve been realizing for a while that clinging to the old, comfortable way is not really working anymore.  So when I heard Dr. Zamora explain the dynamics of this course, I was very interested.  I hope that I can take away a number of things from this class: not only the experience of making something that can affect the way race is dealt with in our world, but also a greater insight into incorporating technology, collaboration, and active student participation so my students can accomplish great things too.
                When we were brainstorming in small groups on Tuesday about what exactly that “something” would be, we focused mainly on creating some kind of portfolio or collection in which we all document our own personal experiences with how we communicate, based on our own ethnic, cultural, and familial backgrounds.  One of us said she wanted to maybe develop a family tree or some kind of document about her heritage, kind of along the same lines as the TV shows Dr. Zamora mentioned (“Who Do You Think You Are?” etc.).  This idea really appealed to me.  A couple years ago, my sister started her Master’s and decided to concentrate in Irish history based on my family’s heritage.  She actually had the opportunity to go to Ireland and did extensive research on the development (and eventual forced abandonment) of the Irish language.  I became really interested in how much language is a part of identity as an ethnic, cultural group or race.  The idea that how we communicate, whether it be through writing, or simple everyday conversation, is a result of our own life experiences and, surprisingly, those of our ancestors going back generations and generations, is fascinating.  To develop a vehicle through which we can document the impact of this and showcase the variety of life experiences- and therefore, the variations of communication as a whole, would be really awesome.
                Another idea that personally appealed to me was the idea of creating some kind of educational toolbox or bank for teachers.  I know from personal experience that kids tend to be like me (haha, they cling to what they know and what they’re comfortable with) and so very often, particularly in the district where I teach, the word “diversity” means very little.  Oh, it’s something that is acknowledged and there is “Diversity Day,” but on a day-to-day basis, there is little consideration of what goes on outside the town “bubble,” so to speak.  I think that having some kind of consistent integration of studying various racial and ethnic experiences, across content areas- not just when we read To Kill a Mockingbird (although it is wonderful J)or Night in Language Arts, would be really valuable.
               


No comments:

Post a Comment